Wednesday, October 21, 2009

OC Activist Wants to Ban Maya Angelou

I LOVE to read. I have since I was a kid. I'm usually not discriminate about the book either. I wonder what books I would have missed out on if people like the ones in the article below had their way.

I have read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and thought it was one of Ms. Angelou's best works. I read her book when I was in 8th grade. Does the book address molestation, rape and teen pregnancy? Yes. Does it do it in a way that is celebrating these topics? NO.

Why do people think they have a right to limit what others can read, say or do? If you don't want your child to read Ms Angelou's book then don't let them read it. If another parent feels their child is mature enough for the subject matter then that is that parent's call. Even the article mentions the book in question has been checked out 5 times in the last 5 years. Hmmmm...doesn't sound like all the little kiddies are lining up to check this one out. But this activist wants to ban it?

Get over yourself!

Teach your children what is appropriate and what isn't. Leave parenting to the individual parents and stop intruding on other's right to choose their own reading materials. Book banning is wrong!

Follow the link below to read the article. That is all...




abc7.com:
OC activists want Angelou book removed
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7074967

____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment